Course DescriptionVeterinary Assisting | Learn the skills needed to become a veterinary assistant. Discuss basic components of outpatient, diagnostic, pharmaceutical and radiographic procedures for entry-level veterinary assistants. Understand inpatient care for medication/nutrition, fluid, oxygen and physical therapy techniques, bandaging, anesthesia, surgical equipment, emergencies and dentistry. Textbook and clinical manual in Canvas. CEUs issued. $980 includes $30 fee. Note: Students must also register for SPP-301 Veterinary Assistant Internship.
- Explain the role and responsibilities of the veterinary assistant in the hierarchy of a veterinary clinic, hospital or shelter;
- Recognize various career pathways in veterinary medicine, write a cover letter and resume, implement job search strategies and use appropriate interviewing techniques;
- Explain the proper use of a microscope and identify different types of parasites as well as explain different function tests used in the animal hospital laboratory;
- Identify the parts of a cell and the organ functions of the canine, feline, and other small animals;
- Demonstrate proper small animal restraint methods, appropriate setup and cleaning of the exam room, the maintenance and classification of drugs, and radiograph processing techniques.
- Identify equipment used in IV catheterization, catheter placement sites, and surgical trays;
- Demonstrate the ability to properly dispense and administer oral medications and nutritional foods;
- Perform appropriate techniques involved with bathing, dipping, and grooming, fecal and heartworm exams, collecting urine samples, dental care, sanitizing exam and operating rooms, cages, and kennels;
- Perform correct procedures for labeling drugs and radiographs, filling radiographs, setting radiograph machines and positioning animals for x-rays;
- Explain and perform correct procedures for setting up the appropriate medical equipment, drugs, nd supplies associated with an emergency crash cart.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Veterinary Assisting : Open Enrollment
Enroll Now - Select a section to enroll in
Required fields are indicated by .